workshop in progress

Cheryl is relaunching her Workshop in Progress series this week. (You can read more about it here.) I am joining in. Truthfully, this isn't easy for me. It feels like I'm putting a lot of myself out there...and some days that's easier than others. Today it feels like a stretch. But I love the concept of this workshop and I do need some input.

Remember my gingham quilt? I really wanted to make gingham. I NEEDED to make gingham. Once the idea got in my head it took root firmly and I had to see it through. Know what I mean?

Once I made the quilt, though, I could see that it needed something. I didn't expect to use this as a background fabric, but that's where I'm headed. I'd like to applique a large daisy on it. I wanted to see what it would look like before cutting into fabric, so I used paper instead. It's handy, because the paper pieces will serve as my templates when I make the applique pieces.

My dilemma is...the daisy is just sitting there floating on the surface. Does it need some design element to anchor it to the background? I don't really want to do a large stem. I thought about adding on a few smaller daisies (for a total of 3) and maybe having one go "off the page". But they would still be floating on the surface. I'm stuck.

Do you have any thoughts? Suggestions?