fair and square quilt pattern


At long last...the fair and square quilt pattern! I've been working on this baby for a long time. I even made it into a pdf. (Hey, for me that's a big deal!) A big thanks to my 9 year old son and my husband who helped me with many, many details of writing it. I'm not a Power Point user, I'm more of a Quark Xpress girl, but cha-ching, is it spendy!!! So I'm learning to make due with Power Point. Anyway....

You can download the pdf here. Yay!

I didn't include the cutting instructions on the pdf, so I am going to outline how to cut the sashing here. They are pretty slick and easy, if I do say so myself.

First, cut your 2 yard piece of background fabric to 66 1/2".
You will be making lengthwise cuts from the fabric. Lay out the fabric like it comes off the bolt. In this photo the fold is on the left, the selvage edges are on the right.

Take the bottom of your fabric and fold it up onto itself. Line up the edges as much as possible. I tend to use the fold side to line it up.

Now, take the fabric and fold it up onto itself once again.

At this point the fabric should fit on your cutting mat.
(Excuse the change in fabric color here.)

Make one cut that measures 6.5", and 4 cuts that measure 3.5". Discard the selvages (not shown on this photo, they were on the right) and the fold (on the left).

Since the fabric is doubled, this will yield 2 6.5" strips and 8 3.5" strips. Now you are ready to make the rest of the cuts according to the pattern. Easy as pie, right?

Since this is a free quilt pattern, if you make one for yourself, would you also consider making another (quilt top only) and donating it to Margaret's Hope Chest? They will quilt and bind it and then make sure that it gets into the hands of someone in need. Of course if you want to finish the quilt yourself and donate it, they would happily accept those as well. That kind of goes without saying, though, doesn't it? ;) Your donation will be much appreciated!

One more thing...if anyone who was at the work party last weekend found an extra pair of orange handled Fiskars scissors with black blades, I lost mine. :( I know I could go out and buy a new pair, but those had sentimental meaning to me. If they turned up in anyone's stuff, please let me know. Thanks so much.