quilt along week 4

Welcome to week 4 of the quilt along! It's mostly sewing from here on out. Woo-hoo! Throughout this assembly process, try to focus on sewing an accurate 1/4" seam. (I know I have to slow down and work on this myself!) It will save you tons of hassles later. Trust me...I know this from experience.

Select 8 patchwork segments and lay out 4 at the top and 4 at the bottom of the center block.
Sew the top 4 together, press. Repeat for the bottom 4 segments.
Sew these to the top and the bottom of the center block and press.

Select 16 segments and place 8 on each side.
Sew them together and press. Make sure everything is lining up...you should have a checkerboard effect. Make sure you don't have 2 whites or two prints together.

Then attach them to the center block. Press well.

Next, take the 2 sashing pieces that measure 16 1/2" x 2 1/2" and sew them to the top and bottom of the center block. Press seams.
Repeat using the 2 sashing pieces that measure 20 1/2" x 2 1/2", one for each side.
Sew and press.
The block should now measure 20 1/2" square.
That's where we will stop for today. Wouldn't this make a fun block to repeat? I love it!

6 more weeks and we will have a completed quilt top!

Feel free to add your progress shots to the flickr group. Thanks for quilting along with me!