learn something new

I've been quilting for over 10 years now, and I'm amazed at how much I still don't know. Ok, let me rephrase that. I am amazed at how many things I keep learning. I'm not complaining....it's awesome! I've been wanting to share a few links that have been helpful to me.

First off, Carol wrote a great tutorial on single fold binding. I saw this tutorial, tried it and loved it immediately. I wouldn't use it for quilts, but for coasters, mini quilts, etc, it's perfect. She calls for cutting the binding 1 1/4'' wide, but I used a honey bun strip (which is pre-cut at 1 1/2'' wide) for this little coaster and it worked great. In fact, I think that it's the best use of a honey bun that I've come across to date!

Secondly, Anita did a wonderful tutorial on machine sewn binding. After reading her tutorial, I started thinking it was actually feasible for me to bind quilts this way. I was very scared to try it (it took me 6 months), but really, I didn't know how painless (and QUICK) it would be. I used the technique on this quilt, and I will definitely try it again.

I'm just delving into hand quilting, and this video on how to make a knot is awesome. I mean, I know how to make knots in my thread all too well. But this video helped me to learn how to be intentional in where the knots end up. :)  This helped me a ton when I was working on all my applique leaves, too. (I just finished them this afternoon!!! YAY!) There is also a great video on tying off, or making an ending knot. Super duper helpful!

Lastly, I am sooooooooooooooo excited, because my husband gave the the go ahead to go to this retreat!
I met Penny at a retreat last November and her work is amazing! In fact, it was after seeing her paper piece at the retreat that I was inspired to re-work my band aid block idea into something a little more realistic. It was fun and this is something that I've been wanting to do more of.
But, have you seen Penny's paper piecing??? I mean, seriously!!! Check out her kitchen aid mixer block! I'm blown away and I can't wait to learn her techniques and some of her tricks. Plus, Tara hosts an AWESOME retreat. I know this from personal experience, so I am sure a good time will be had by all. I can not wait! There are still some spots left. If you are a last minute planner like me, it's not too late! :)