playing four square

I made this little quilt for a friend that is expecting her 3rd baby this summer. Having 3 kids myself, I know how fun it is to get something special for the younger ones. These so are "her" colors, and it just happens that I had plenty of them on hand in my stash. Sweet!
Most of the fabrics are from the Birchtree Lane collection from Connecting Threads. These fabrics are so perfect for a boy quilt! To round things out, I threw in a sweet little print from my LQS, a bit of David Walker robots and some Robert Kaufman mingle. My daughter actually cut these out for me using my GO! baby (can you say sweet???) and the 5" circle die. The GO! cutter made such quick work of the circles. I certainly will be making more circle quilts!
The backing is Denyse Schmidt dots from JoAnn's. LOVE this print! I really wanted to continue hoarding it for myself, but I'm glad I used it, because it was THE perfect match.
For construction of the circle blocks, I basically used this tutorial, but I used 6.5" squares rather than 6" for the background blocks. The circles frayed ever so gently after washing. I love the subtle texture that it adds-absolutely perfect for a baby quilt!
I rolled it up and tied a ribbon around for gifting, letting the label peek out. So simple and easy and sweet.
The quilt measures 42" square. I gave it to my friend yesterday and she loved it. Hurray!

This was SUCH a fun (and quick!) quilt to make. I think I need to make a girl version now. :)