a bib tutorial

cut 2 pieces of fabric and a scrap of batting about 10" x 13".

make a quilt sandwich.
I use spray baste to hold all the layers together .

quilt your layers together.

cut into a bib shape. (pattern below)
I usually cut an additional 1/4" out from the (tear drop shaped) neck area to make sure there is plenty of room for the baby's neck. (sorry I didn't add this to the pattern) or, if you have a little one, you can check to make sure you have the size you need. also, cut generously around the outside edges of the pattern. An eighth of an inch to a quarter inch would be perfect. (an accurate pattern would have been easier, no? again, sorry about that....this is the way I craft.)
when you are to this point, the bib should be about the size of a letter sized piece of paper.

use a quarter inch seam allowance to sew the bias binding around the outside edges.
I make my own bias strips cutting them 2.5" wide, then fold in half lengthwise and iron.
leave an extra inch of binding fabric at the beginning and end.


hand stitch the binding onto the back side of the bib.



trim off the ends even with the inside edge of the bib,
don't cut off your knots, though.

machine stitch more bias binding, sewing slowly around the curve.

again, leave an extra inch of binding beyond the top edge of the bib.



now, I flip it over and check how the seam looks.
I barely caught the edge on the back,

so I resew making sure there is a quarter inch seam.

now, working from the back,

fold in the extra inch of binding,

fold that in half toward you, and tack down the edges really well.

hand stitch the binding down.
finish up the same way, folding the down the raw edge and tacking the end very well.


add a snap.



and you are done.

after washing, the bib will soften and lay flat.

this one has been washed several times.

if you have any questions, I will answer them in the comments.

if you make any bibs using this pattern, I'd love to see them.
for personal use only, please.
(to get the pattern, right click on the image, save picture, then print out. )

make the pattern full size on paper before cutting out your quilted piece for greater accuracy.

or you could do what I did originally....use a bib that you currently have and make that your pattern...I think I added a bit more length for extra coverage.