bento box quilt


after a marathon of basting, quilting and binding this weekend, my bento box quilt is done! this thing is a monster!!! (it's a king size.) we even slept under it last night. (hurray!) i have to admit that i wasn't really loving this quilt until i had the last bit of binding done and i laid it out on the bed. it looks SO GREAT on my bed. :)
there is a whole lot of stippling in this quilt. i was thankful for every inch of arm space that my sewing machine has. i didn't time my quilting, but it took over 12 bobbins of thread. (i'm estimating that i used 2000 yards.) strangely, i think the hardest part of stippling this quilt was the very beginning because the entire weight of the quilt was pulling against me. (and because i was scared!) the middle really wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. i don't think there are any puckers in the back, except one little one on the bound edge. that's progress!
see, here's proof that i did all the quilting myself. :)

for the back i used a king size flat sheet from target. it's not an exact color match, but i love having a solid color (rather than muslin) on the back. for $14.99, it's quite a bargain. not having to piece the backing is worth that alone. i just squeaked by size wise...the sides of the quilt went into the hem to the sheet just a bit, but not too much so to hide inside the binding. whew!

i'll show a photo of it on my bed when i finish-or make, i should say-the pillow shams. hopefully it doesn't take me 6 months like it did the last time. :)