a new portable project

I'm very excited-I found my portable summer hand stitching project! This makes me laugh, and is highly optimistic, since spring hasn't even sprung here yet. But once summer comes, I'll be ready!
This quilt is inspired by Jessica's travel quilts. Aren't they AMAZING? I have admired her star quilts for years, and now I'm diving in. I'm as scared as I was when I first was trying hand applique, but that turned out pretty dandy, so why not try something new?

A few specifics: Jessica has a video tutorial on how to make the stars. There is a flickr group here. She suggests using quilt patis, but I made my own cardboard templates. I didn't want to wait and order them, so I tried making my own, complete with punched holes and so far, so good! I drew a 60 degree diamond, with each diamond side measuring 2" long, which means the stars finish at 6.5" across. I can't wait to watch it grow. This is going to be a fun journey!

Happy Monday to you!