a tribute

Once upon a time, there was a couple who were young, expecting their first child and in the midst of a huge remodeling project in their first home. The project was so huge, in fact, that it necessitated them moving out for a period of 6 months while their house was rebuilt, inside and out. There were other things going on, too. The husband was working 1 1/2 jobs-one being a rotating 12 hour shift job. Things were crazy.

Enter a sweet, mature, handy and creative couple-a cabinetmaker and a quilter. They had a good 20 years of life experience that the young couple didn't have. They offered to hang cabinets, helped paint walls, cooked meals. They stepped in an befriended the young couple at the most perfect time possible. 

That young couple was my husband and me. And our friends Bruce and Nancy were hugely instrumental in our lives. Nancy taught me how to quilt. And there is not a day that goes by that I am not extremely grateful for the time that she took to teach me.

Today is Nancy's birthday. And I thought it fitting to (finally) make her a quilt. It's a pittance of a thank you for all she has done for me, but hopefully it's a start.

She is a friend, but more than that, a mentor. She shared recipes, counseled me through days with a colicky baby, days of cabin fever during those LONG Minnesota winters. She babysat our boy, and became Nana to him. She unpacked boxes of kitchen stuff after we moved. Helped throw me a baby shower. So many things, I could go on and on.

She still cheers me on. She reads my blog daily and she joined in the first quilt along. She has done so much. Little things, but big things, you know? 

So, thank you, Nancy. 
I hope you have a fabulous birthday.