sugar + spice + everything nice


Here is my quilt from the Old Red Barn quilt along-finally finished. I've had a roller coaster ride with this one, as far as me liking it. I loved the fabric, then put it all together and thought about putting the top up for adoption. I had a hard time settling on a backing I liked, too. Since I quilted it, though, I love it again.
When piecing this one, I decided to press the seams on the blocks open. It took a long time, but it made the quilting easier. After making this quilt, it strengthened my dislike for strip piecing. I know it's efficient and all, but I personally don't care for the process. I think it's because I'm an excessive back stitcher.
This is one of my favorite fabrics of all time to use for binding quilts...in any color way...I love it every time.
For quilting, I branched out. Again! I owe a big thank you to Cheryl for helping me break free from my stippling rut. She has helped me get over my fear of "I'm going to ruin this quilt if I don't stipple it." She encouraged me to try to come up with a quilting design based on one of the fabrics in the quilt. This is what I came up with, inspired by this fabric. Isn't it fun(ky)? I really like it. A lot. It was a happy accident that I chose to quilt in rows, as the design of the quilt (the strips) kept me going in a fairly straight line without any marking. I love it when things work out like that.
For the backing, I used one strip of the patterned fabric down the middle and put the solid pink on each side. Much like this quilt back. All the backing came from my stash. Actually, now that I think of it, this is a 100% stash quilt. I wonder if I get extra points for that??? :)
This is a full size, measuring 72" x 90", but I'm using it on my daughter's twin size bed. I really like having the extra overhang on the sides. Now I just have to order some fabric to make a matching sham. The cutie pie doll on the bed came from Carol. :) She matches perfectly.
Can I tell you just how much fun it is to have a little girl in the house?