circle time

circle time
Circle time is finished! I LOVED using circles. It was a nice departure from all the squares and rectangles I use so frequently in my quilts. The fabric is Woodland Bloom by Moda and I used two charm packs. Thanks Sherry!!

To make the quilt, I first cut out circles using a CD as a template. Then, I laid out the circles unto a plain white sheet, using a very unscientific method of measuring. I used sashing strips and strips of paper (both 2.5" wide) to measure the spacing between the circles. I started from one edge and worked my way to the other side. I'm sure things aren't perfectly straight, but close enough for me. I pinned the circles onto the white background with safety pins, then zig zagged the circles down onto fabric. This required me to borrow a friend's sewing machine, since my Juki has no zig zag stitch. Thanks Therese!

I was on the fence about the borders, but I do like how they turned out. I debated back and forth for a long while-even after it was basted-then one day I decided to quilt it and put the debate to rest. Now that it's finished, I'm glad I kept them as they were. I like that they are a bit unpredictable.

For the back, I used a light aqua polka dot from my stash.

And I bound it in this lovely grass green polka dot.

I stippled the background and the borders, but left the circles unquilted. I like how they pop a little bit.

The circles are very forgiving. The edges softened after washing. I was not sure how I would like the slightly raw edges, but they are really a fun part of the quilt.

After washing, the quilt measures 46" x 59".

Only 18 more WIP's to go. Only. Heh.
-----
My generous blog friend Carol is giving away a quilt top, backing and binding on her blog. You can check it out here. :)