using it all


I love using up every last bit of fabric whenever I can. It has become a sort of personal challenge for me. Or you could say that I'm learning to fully embrace my craziness. :) This includes using the leftover triangles that you trim when you join binding strips* together. I keep them in a little drawer on my desk. I've collected quite a few, so I've come up with a few projects to use them in.

*I cut my binding strips at 2.5" wide.
This is the start of a little quilt using the triangles. To make it, I started with 49 white 3.5" squares, and added a triangle to one corner of each block. It is constructed somewhat like a snowball block, but a triangle is added to one corner only. Then the white fabric is trimmed off from behind the colored piece. Once I made all the blocks, I arranged them to form little bow ties. If I wanted, I could also make them into little butterflies by stitching in some antennae. It currently measures 22" square, so think I will make this one a little larger by adding some borders of some sort. I love the start of it.
This little quilt measures 18.5" square. It's made up of maverick star blocks, like in this tutorial, but instead of starting with 4.5" blocks as the tutorial directs, I started with 2.5" blocks. I've found that 2.5" blocks match the triangle size quite nicely. Each star block finishes and 6". Smaller=cuter!!! This one will be going off to a blog friend soon.

I realize that this is hardcore scrap quilting, but I do love it!