my challenge quilt

There are a few great posts that I have been mulling over the past week and a half. I think they really struck a cord with me because I've been feeling the urge to try new (to me) things. I'm bored churning out the same type of quilts over and over. So...I thought I would give applique a shot.

I really wanted a project that would be portable, too. Perfect for summertime, or orthodontist appointments, or for movie watching...you get the idea.

I'm challenging myself even further in that I'm not using plain white fabric for the background...which is a huge step out of my comfort zone. (yay me!) I've never really worked on a quilt based on values, so I'm giving that a shot at the same time. It's been so fun to rummage through my stash and play with color combinations.

I have NO idea how long this will take. Or how big it will end up being. But I know I'm stitching a lot of tiny stitches by hand while hanging out with my kids enjoying the nice weather. It's been a lovely start to this quilt.