quilt along #5

Here is my initial plan for the quilt along.

(why is it that posting quilt sketches feels so revealing!?!) This sketch has a few errors, but you get the idea, at least.

Ok, let's take a closer look at the pretty fabric.

It's Anna Griffin's new line The Lizzie Collection (comes out in July, I believe). This was my one market purchase. Too pretty to pass up!

Now, on to a few estimations.....

I'll start sometime after May 31, so you can finish up Jacquie's spring to finish challenge.

Quilt size: 64" x 88" (twin size)

Approximate yardage required:

Background fabric: 4 1/2 yards. I might buy 5 just in case. Having an extra bit of white hanging around wouldn't be the worst thing.

Main fabrics: I'm going to use my stack of 20 fat quarters, which will be more than plenty. IF I calculated correctly, I will only need 20 fat eighths. Or 10 fat quarters. Or 2 1/2 yards. But again, how could it hurt to buy a little too much?

Backing fabric: about 5 3/4 yards.

Binding fabric: I usually just buy a yard or whatever I choose for binding. 3/4 of a yard should be plenty.

Any questions? Anyone want to join me?

And one more question...for those of you who write patterns (even if it's "just" on your blog), when you calculate yardage, do you round up say, a quarter yard, or do you list the exact fabric requirement? For those of you who use patterns, do you buy the exact amount of fabric or do you buy a little bit extra, just in case? I guess that's two questions. ;) Any feedback would be much appreciated.