merry minis quilt top

I had the chance to sew more than I expected to on Saturday, which is always a pleasant surprise. I started playing with the 4 patches I had made from the merry mini fabric line from Connecting Threads. The fabric is cute and sweet and has a very vintage flavor to it. I knew I wanted to put the blocks up on point, so I started there. I'm so used to using 2" finished blocks, that the 4 1/2" blocks felt HUGE to me!
They looked decidedly, um, old fashioned. I was stuck for a bit, until I decided to add some setting squares in the blank spots. I added a few dots from Children at Play line (LOVE THOSE DOTS!!!) to help update things a bit. I also added a few other basics from my stash and a few prints from this line, too, even though they aren't Christmas prints. They work so well together! It's funny, because without intending to, I ended up making a variation of this quilt. You can find the measurements here
The background fabric is a sweet, sweet polka dot print, also from Connecting Threads. (It's picnic dot in mint.) It's so good that I had to stock up...I think I bought 5+ yards. :) I love that the background is something other than plain ol' white. I branched out and I LOVE it!
The quilt top is about 55" x 66".
Now it's sitting on the "to be quilted" stack. It has plenty of company there. Heh.

Also, I want to thank you for all your sweet comments on my last post. You guys are the best!!!

Happy Monday to you!