little A's abstract

Well, there are only a few days left of 2011, which means I'm doing a final push to get as many projects done as possible before the new year arrives. Anyone else doing the same?
Yesterday I was happy to find the time to finish up this little quilt. It was a joint effort between myself and my 5 year old daughter. We started this last spring and we worked on it VERY intermittently since then.
She designed on my design wall using my strings and I sewed up the blocks. (She is soooooooo silly almost all the time!)
Here is the block that started it all. I just loved it, so we kept going.
This is the second block she designed. It looks a little rough, but...
here it is all sewn up. Pretty fun! Then we just kept adding to it until it was big enough for her to use. (And to grow into a bit.) 
We had a lot of fun working on this together. I tried my hardest to let go and run with her ideas. (Not always easy for me!) But overall, it was a good experience and I'm so glad I took the time to do this project with her.
She picked this backing from my stash. It is decor weight fabric that I got for super cheap at Mill End a few years ago. It's extra wide, so no piecing. (Hurray!) It gives the quilt a nice weight.
I did a simple stipple over the entire quilt in white thread. She wanted swirls, but I had to go with something easy because of all the strings and seams.
We pieced the binding from my scrap bin. She picked these colors....
and I suggested the orange to finish it off. I'm glad she agreed! :) I love a pieced binding, and I think it works especially well on a scrappy quilt.

She LOVES her new quilt!
I sure do, too!
It measures 43" x 54".