finishing your quilt top, part 1

As you may know, this is the quilt that I am basing the quilt-a-long on. Should you want to use this layout, I will try my best to explain it here. The finished quilt will be about a twin size.

There are some great ideas on how to put together the blocks here and here. And if there are more, feel free to send me the links. I'd love to see them.

First, I layed out the blocks in an arrangement that I liked. I usually take a photo at this point and view the quilt on the screen of my digital camera. It really helps me find color clumping or unevenness.

Then, I measured my remaining background fabric. I had a piece about 2 2/3 yards long. I cut 4 pieces 6.5" by the length of the fabric and set them aside for the final borders. It's much easier to do the borders this way than to have to piece them later.

Next, I cut out 17 rectangles 4.5" x 12.5" from the background fabric. This is your sashing.
Cut at least 24 squares 2.5" from various fabrics that you used in your quilt squares. I cut extra squares, but will use them for the borders later.

Sew 4 2.5" squares together. Make 6. These are called 4 patches.

Use the 4 patches and the sashing to separate the 12" blocks as shown.
Working in rows, sew together.

Next week we will work on the borders.

I look forward to seeing all the nearly completed quilts.
Happy Monday!