a pair of plaids


I finally got the plaid quilts done! I'm working on depleting my WIP (work in progress) list, which means I've been basting and quilting my tops in pairs. Yes, pairs. That just doesn't seem right, does it? But I have to say, it feels good to see some quilts finished! In fact, I haven't started a new quilt in a few weeks now. I know it's only a matter of time though. ;)

These quilts will be headed to Margaret's Hope Chest. I used the pattern that I designed especially for their organization this past summer. I *heart* MHC. They are spreading HOPE in Jesus' name, and it's exciting to see how they are impacting lives. So inspiring. I had a chance to meet the women behind MHC this past summer and they are amazing!

Now, more about these quilts....

I stippled one and did some straight line "plaid" quilting on the other. Thanks goes to Cheryl, who gave me the plaid idea. It's fun to see how the different quilting looks on the same pattern.

For the binding I used these awesome pixie dust fabrics. I had the blue and the red stripe and I couldn't decide which to use, so I used both. I mimicked the colors of the squares with the binding. I love adding little details like that. And I love stripey bindings. A lot.

When I went shopping for backings nothing jumped out at me, so I went with simple muslin. I already had on hand AND it was 60" wide so no piecing! Bonus! The quilting shows up nicely on the back, too. I'll admit that can be good AND bad.

I am very pleased with how these quilts turned out. A huge THANK YOU to everyone who contributed plaid squares to this project. I couldn't have done it without you!

Now, I'm down to only (ha!!!) 17 wips.

How about you? What's your wip number? Or are you of the persuasion that it's better not to count? ;)