measurements for flea market fancy quilt

edit...after further calculations, I changed the yardage requirement for the sashing fabric from 2 1/3 to 2 3/4 yards. (see below.)

First off, I'd like to thank Alissa for her inspiration AND her willingness to let me share this pattern with all of you.

Here are the measurements I used for my flea market fancy quilt top....

cut a 5" inch square for the center of the block.
you will need 20.
cut 2 rectangles 3.5" x 5"

and 2 rectangles 3.5" x 11".

assemble the block with a 1/4" seam allowance.

each 1/4 yard (I used 1/4 yards, not fat quarters for this, but FQ's would work, too) will yield enough pieces to border 2 blocks.

you will need 10 quarter yards for the outsides of the blocks.

make 20 blocks.


for the sashing:


I used bleached muslin. you will need 2 3/4 yards.


first, cut 2 border pieces 5" x 80" (cut this lengthwise, not selvage to selvage, to avoid seams). set this aside for your final borders. (these will be placed vertically)


cut 6 border/sashing pieces 5" x 56". (these will be placed horizontally)


cut 15 sashing pieces 5" x 11". (these will be placed vertically)


Assemble your quilt top.


It will measure approximately 65" x 80" when finished.


In the original quilt, Alissa placed some of the center blocks off center, and that can be done easily, just make sure that your square measures 11" when assembled. or you can make the block oversized and then trim as needed.


If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them in the comments. If you make a quilt using these measurements, I'd love to see it!