another finish


This quilt was made for some dear friends that I have known for a long, long time. They celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary in October, so this gift will be a bit belated. (I need to work on my deadlines!) They live in a hundred year old farm house and collect antique quilts. I hope this fits into their home nicely.

It all started with these squares that I didn't quite know what to do with.

When I saw this quilt, I got excited because I could still make a full size quilt with only half the amount of 9 patch blocks. Those 9 patch blocks get tedious!

The making of this quilt was touch and go several times. I had to do quite a bit of color editing. Several lighter colored squares made their way into my scrap bucket. That helped a ton, but once I got the quilt top put together I wasn't really thrilled. It hung over my banister several weeks. I started to strip piece the backing with pieces from my stash. That didn't last very long. I gave up, went to JoAnn's and bought a big piece of backing fabric...so glad I did. I thought about ripping the top apart several times. Or just cutting it apart and salvaging what I could.

But, I persevered. I decided to see the quilt through to completion. I must say that I am glad I did.

The backing is a large scale paisley that dresses it up nicely.

As does the large scale printed binding.

Someone asked me once (I think it was Megan) if I ever get nervous about how a quilt will come together. I would have to say ALL the TIME!

Is it worth it? Totally. Every time.