merry day after christmas

I hope you all had a great Christmas. Ours was pretty quiet...well as quiet as it gets with 3 kids. :) We stayed home and tried to keep things fairly laid back. The highlight of our day was going sledding as a family. We had so much fun. Even little A went (and loved) sledding. We had the perfect lazy snowfall for a good part of the day. It was magical.

Now that it is after Christmas, I can show you this funky quilt that I made for my friend Heather. I used the happy hour pattern and I would highly recommend it! I was able to sew the top together in a few hours. I think it took longer to cut out the pieces than it did to sew them back together.

I used mainly holly jolly fabrics from Moda with a few other random fabrics mixed in.

The backing...

and the binding! (oh, I love a striped binding....I can't figure out why I haven't done one before.)

And this is my favorite square.

I made this quilt from start to finish in one week.

The hardest part of making the quilt (besides keeping it a secret!!!) was to pick out 20 different fabrics that go together. Especially with these shades of red and green. Finding the backing fabric (on a budget) was also a bit distressing. But I am very happy with how it turned out. And so is Heather. Yay!

FYI...we are taking a week off from the quilt-a-long, so those of you who are behind can have a chance to catch up. I plan to post a block 7 next week. (maybe on Wednesday.)