sprucing up the house, part 1

We have family coming in a few days after Christmas and then for New Year's Eve, so we are scrambling to get the house in order before our guests arrive. It's good to have company coming to light that fire under your rear, as Mama Urchin put it in this post. We moved at the beginning of November and are still trying to settle in.

Last summer when I was walking with the kids we stopped into a thrift store and scored this fabulous metal bed for $20. (I talked them down from $25.) My husband wasn't quite as thrilled as I was at my fantastic deal. And that is putting it mildly. But how cute is it for my little girls room?

My original intent was to assemble the bed today so I could measure how large to make this quilt for her bed.
But lo and behold my pretty moda quilt, which is a queen size, works perfectly on this bed. I love it when things work out like that.

My little girl won't be using this bed for awhile, but at least it will be an extra bed ready for when our company arrives. And it can sit there and be pretty in the meantime.

More sprucing up the house tomorrow. Nothing like starting a blog series (and company coming) to keep ya' going. :)