inspiration board

Thanks for all your positive response on my storage cubes! I'm blown away. I updated a few steps in the tutorial to clarify a few questions that kept coming up. I hope that clears things up.

Also, I created a flickr group where you can share photos of the projects that you have made using the tutorials from this series "gifts to create for Christmas '08". I look forward to seeing your finished projects in the flickr pool.

Today's project was inspired by Roxanne. Last month when my husband and I went on vacation we got to see Roxanne's craft room in person. (More shots here.) It is fabulous. She has this great inspiration board that I just had to copy. She was gracious to give me all the info and to let me feature the idea here. Thanks so much Roxanne.

Start with a frame....(I got mine at a garage sale for FREE.)

Remove the glass, matte, and backing.

Paint frame as desired. I used some white paint to freshen up the frame.

Using the backing as a template, cut a piece of Design Tack to size. (Sorry I can't find a link for this product.) My husband picked up a piece of this material that measures 48" x 32" (or so) for $9.99 at Menards. It's a pressed board product with 2 sides...granite gray and brown..that supposed to look like cork board. Otherwise you could use Homasote fiberboard, like Martha recommends.

Find a piece of fabric that measures at least a few inches larger than the pressed board on all sides...

wrap the fabric around and tack on the back using staples. then press the fabric covered board back into the frame (it should friction fit, so there is no need to attach it further)

and you are done.

Here is mine in use. I LOVE it. Thanks to my sweet husband for hanging it up for me immediately. :)

I have 2 more projects in mind to use up the leftovers of the pressed board. Stay tuned.