Star Wars robe


My boys are a little obsessed with Star Wars. Last January, when we went to Disney World, we went to the Jedi Training Academy. My boys were thrilled to see the characters in person. They didn't get chosen to participate in the training exercise, much to their disappointment, but I did promise them that I would make them some robes when we got back. It's 8 months later and I finally made good on my promise. Well, I'm half way there. One robe sewn and one to go.

I used brown cotton solid from JoAnn's.

and Simplicity 3575 for a pattern.
I omitted the tie around the waist.

I started last night (with a little help via phone from my expert seamstress friend Linda)...

and I came up with this. He was so very excited. (And I was, too, actually.) He was walking around in character this morning. When I asked him to put some things away, he grabbed the items, bowed to me and walked away silently. It was so funny.

I'm not a fan of patterns, but this one was pretty easy. One thing though, sewing a 5/8" seam allowance was a trip after sewing 1/4" seams for years.

Although this isn't a tutorial, this is the best Christmas gift idea I have for boys, for those of you who asked. It would work great for Halloween, too.