the un-paper bag a la amandajean


The Purl Bee has a great tutorial for a bag they call the un-paper bag. I made one several months ago from green linen. I love it and I use it a lot. Unfortunately, it isn't photogenic. It's a perfect size to use as a purse that has enough room for a few extras, like a few library books or a diaper, wipes and a sippy cup. I decided that it was high time to make a patchwork one.

(this is the reverse side)

I used the remaining charm squares I had from the Moda Daydreams line. I trimmed them down to 4.5". I now officially LOVE charm packs. They are so handy!
I had two extra squares, so I added them to the handles.
I quilted each square with matching thread....
and added a ric rac bordered pocket. Well, two pockets, actually. This may be my favorite part of the bag. I also officially love ric rac, too. I need to stock up.

For the handles, I cut 2 pieces 4" x 20" and them made them as directed in this tutorial.

One thing I learned....when using the template plastic for the bottom, round the corners, otherwise it will wear through the corners of your fabric, and quick.

This project, since it was pieced and quilted, took awhile, but still well worth it. Next time I am going to try it with decorator fabric.