quilt-a-long, week 1

Anyone care to do a quilt-a-long?

I'll give you instructions on how to make a quilt block each week.
At the end of 12 weeks you will have enough blocks for a great start on a quilt top. I was going to do a block of the month thingy with some friends back in Michigan, but before I got around to it, I moved away. So it has turned into a virtual quilt along, and you all are invited.

I chose some 30's prints from my stash and a cream tone on tone fabric.

Cut one square 4.5" from your print fabric

Cut 8 squares 2.5" from your print fabric

Cut 4 rectangles 2.5" x 4.5" from your background fabric

Cut 4 rectangles 2.5" x 8.5" from your background fabric

Sew together as shown



And there you have your first finished block.

So, who's in? I'll add a list to my sidebar linking to your blog (if you have one), assuming that anyone wants to join me.

edit: this would be a great stash buster quilt-definitely use what you have-I know I am. :) The one thing that I will be doing, (but you don't have to) is use the same background fabric for each block. You can make this as scrappy as you want. The accent fabric will use little pieces. For instance, I had a fat eighth of the red, and I still had some scraps leftover. This of course will vary with each block. Any further questions I will answer in the comments. (yay, I'm excited that you are joining in!)