branching out

Those of you who have read this blog for awhile may already know this, just the thought of sewing clothes with a pattern is enough to make me break out in hives. But with my limited sewing time this summer, the promise of a quick project lured me in. This post by Erin was the final straw. Thanks to Linda, I had a few patterns on hand that were labeled very easy. The one I used didn't disappoint.

The shorts are Butterick 4966. I used size 1 for my 2T girl. She is pretty little, but it seems like the pattern runs big. Aren't they so cute? I was squealing in delight as I was making these. Never mind that white shorts for a 2 year old are totally impractical. I love them.

For the top, I made up my own pattern. I modified the dress that I made a few weeks ago. This time I omitted the snaps on the shoulders and shortened it. I didn't want to hide those cute shorts. I also tapered it to add some shape. Since elastic is used to gather the top, fitting her little arms in the sleeve holes is no problem.

Once I got the top perfected (it took some stitch ripping and resewing) I had to make another....
to match her thrifted capris and clearance sandals....
to make one very cute and thrifty outfit.
I am having so much fun sewing for my little girl! (As if you couldn't tell.)
More to come, I'm sure.