vintage sheets quilt


Another one for the finished list! This started out as a quick and easy project and it turned out to be a very special quilt.

These two prints are just like ones that we had growing up. I am glad to have them in a quilt to help preserve them. I would rather use them than having them sitting in a drawer or shelf for who knows how long.

The backing is also a sheet (not sure that it's vintage, though) which came from my grandma's house. It was still in the package. It had a price tag of $6.99, but she had written on the label "$4.99 on sale. 6 per cent tax." My grandma was so cute and sweet. Anyway, there was no question that I was going to use this sheet on the back.

After quilting it, I was certain I was going to have to go to the quilt shop to find appropriate fabric for the binding. After a bit of digging, though, my stash came through for me again. (Yes, I was disappointed. I was hoping that I had to go, you know? It's been a long time!) This is fabric that Heather gave me for my birthday. She bought it at Purl Patchwork when she went in May. I couldn't decide which would work better-the stripe or the polka dot-so I mixed the two. I hesitated to use such precious fabric, but then decided to cut it up right then and there, otherwise I would hoard it forever. And do you know what? I'm so glad I did.

I washed and dried the whole thing this morning, and I realized that I should have done the stippling a little smaller so it would be more crinkly, but it will do.

The blocks are 10" finished so the quilt measures 60" x 80".

I have a feeling that this won't be the only vintage sheet quilt I make. Those sheets go a LONG way.