color wheel quilt


This quilt was inspired by the photo in this post. When I saw it, I knew I just HAD to make a color wheel quilt. I whipped the quilt top up for a sample for the retreat, because I thought it would be a good scrap quilt idea to share. I wanted to do a circular layout, but the math made my head hurt, so I went the easy route. I do like the layout this way. A lot. You really can't see in the photos, but the two center white blocks are pieced from scraps as well. Each block is 12" finished.

The yellow square is my favorite.
I swirl quilted each of the color blocks with matching thread.
Then I stippled the sashing in white. I haven't washed it yet, but I'm sure it's going to shrink and pucker like crazy because it's pretty heavily quilted. I can't wait.

I bound in with a gray solid, because black was too black, white was too light, but gray was just right. I like how the gray compliments each color. And the backing, too.

Since I changed thread colors for each block (in the bobbin, too) the backing is a bit chaotic, but actually, I love it. This was a really fun quilt to make. I want to try another color block quilt (someday!) but without the sashing. I have no shortage of scraps for just that. :)

It measures 44" x 60".

Hurray for another one off the WIP list! :)