a post in which i reveal a bit too much of my childhood self

When I was a little girl, I had a kitten that was black with white paws. Most people would have named it Socks, Boots, Mittens, you know, something along those lines. I called my kitten Whitey Paws. I'm blushing as I type this and wondering why on earth I'm telling you this.

Unfortunately, my naming skills haven't gotten any better with time (which is why I'm thankful that Susan names most of my quilts) and my daughter seems to be following in my footsteps. (Poor short girl, LOL!!!) I knit up this new little friend yesterday. We should have named it before she could.

Meet Yarn Bear.

It's a good thing he's cute. He's going to need all the help he can get with a name like that. Can you imagine how the kids at school are going to make fun of him?

The cutie pattern is here. I'm planning on making a whole passel of yarn friends. They are a little fiddley, but soooooooo worth it!

After lunch, I found Yarn Bear in the living room with little A's beloved blankie posed just like this. Isn't that so stinkin' adorable? I love it when my kids love what I make. They can't wait to each have one (or ten) of their own. They are smitten and so am I.

Modifications:

For the arms and legs I cast on 7 stitches rather than 4. I knit 12 rows for the legs and 9 rows for the arms.

I knit the body in the round on double pointed needles. Next time I plan to knit it flat and sew up the seams as directed in the pattern. Being a novice knitter I had a few problems with color changes and holes in the back.