Christmas tree skirt tutorial


First, make 15 little log cabin blocks. I basically used this method, but I didn't use those measurements. I used tiny scraps from my scrap bucket. The finished log cabin squares range in size from to 3.75" x 4.25" to 5" x 6".

I made them one of two ways:

green center, 4 red logs, then 4 green logs
or
red center, 4 green logs, then 4 red logs.

then I added 4 white borders so the block would be larger than 7.5"

trim up the block to 7.5"
do this for all 15 blocks.
also, cut one plain white square 7.5"

for the center of your tree skirt, cut a 21.5" square from the background fabric

layout as shown

sew together

baste

and quilt as desired.

cut out a piece of paper into a circle 5" in diameter and pin it to the center. Trace around it onto the fabric. Cut out the center circle, also make a slit to the edge. I used masking tape to mark my line for cutting to the edge then removed the tape immediately afterward.

now it's time to add the binding. I don't care for bias binding, so for the outside edges, I made straight grain binding by cutting 5 strips of fabric 2.25" x width of fabric, then joined them together.

starting at the left hand side, layout the binding around the perimeter of the quilt

and machine stitch in place

ending at the right hand edge of the circle.

hand stitch the binding to the back by hand
now, for the middle circle, you will need to use bias binding.
cut one strip on the bias measuring 2" wide by 22" long. I pieced mine to save fabric.
use a 1/2" binding tool to make the binding strip

fold in the raw edge
then fold two sides in toward the center and press. this will be the your starting edge.
with the starting edge at the beginning of the circle, pin in place, leaving a tail at the end of the circle
using a walking foot, sew into place. take it slow and easy and be careful not to stab yourself with all those pins sticking out.
sew to the end of the circle and back stitch
now trim the tail a bit and fold in the raw edges. you want this tail to be about 1.25" long after the edges are folded in.
at this point I changed to my regular 1/4" foot so I could sew the tab more neatly than if I was using my walking foot.
now all the edges should be sewn together
for the closure, I am using stainless steel snaps. I love these things-they are easy to use and durable. (I buy them at Wal-Mart, Jo Ann's or Hobby Lobby.) These are size 16 - 7/16".

(you can see the snap setter that I use on the left)
attach the snaps
and your tree skirt is done!


it's totally reversible, too. you could as easily use the back as the front.

The finished size is approximately 35" square.
If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them in the comments. Let me know if you use this tutorial to make a tree skirt. I'd love to see it.
Enjoy!