one way to label a quilt

I would venture to guess that not many people can say that labeling their quilt is their favorite part of the quilting process. I know I couldn't. But I do think it is very important.

Here are 11 quilts that I found in my house that still need labels. I'm sure I have at least a few that could be added to this stack.

It really doesn't take much time, and since I was working on one today, I thought I would share one way I add labels to my quilts.

you will need a small piece of freezer paper, a scrap of fabric that matches or coordinates with the quilt back, and a Micron Pigma Pen. I use an 01 tip. Also a needle, thread (I use hand quilting thread) and a scissors.

iron the freezer paper to the fabric with the shiny side toward the wrong side of the fabric
I had read about this tip for years before I tried it. It's amazing! This step stabilizes your fabric so that it's easy, well, easier to write on.

using the Micron pen, write out your label. I like that each label has a bit of my handwriting on it rather than printing my label through a printer.

my most standard verbiage is:

"title of quilt"
by
Amanda Jean
2008

if the quilt doesn't have a title:

handmade by
Amanda Jean
2008
made in Wisconsin

or if it is a gift for someone I will write:

to:___________
Happy Birthday (or occasion here)
with much love,
Amanda Jean
2008

I do like to be sure to add the location where the quilt was made, especially if it will be going out of state or out of the country.

Ok....so once you figure out what to write on your label,

use the paper as your guide and press the raw edges in on all 4 sides
remove the paper (which can be used again a few times)

press again, from the top this time

pin in place and start stitching
I like to start stitching in the top left corner and hide my knot in the layers of the fold. Stitch around the perimeter....

and NOW the quilt is done. It's really not so bad. Not sure why I have 10 sitting around waiting to be labeled.
------------
On a side note, this is my 400th (!!) post. I'd like to say thank you to each and every one who stops here, for your kind comments and constant encouragement. It means so much.

Thank you.

I really mean it.